Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Indian Spiced Braised Chicken


My sister's friend Elizabeth James e-mailed me to tell me she reads Bites and wanted to pass on a recipe she knew I would love from Martha's Everyday Food.  It totally makes my day to hear from people that read Bites and I LOVE getting new recipe recommendations.  This was so fantastic.  It requires planning ahead because it needs to cook for 2 hours but shhhh...don't tell my son obsessed with fire safety...I left the house with the oven on.  I did put it on a timer so it would shut off in case we couldn't get back in time :) Plus, another recipe to use your homemade yogurt in!

1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 medium onion, small diced
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
2 TBS tomato paste
1 TBS grated ginger
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
course salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup plain yogurt (8 oz)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp garam masala

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Stir together chicken, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, coriander and cayenne; season liberally with salt and pepper. I used my dutch oven, but any heavy, oven-proof dish should work.
3. Stir in 1.5 cups of water.
4. Cover; bake until chicken is tender – approximately 2 hours.
5. Stir in yogurt and garam masala.
6. Top with chopped cilantro.

1 comment:

e said...

Oh yea! So fun that you enjoyed it! Can't wait to meet you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails