Monday, May 28, 2012

Frosted Banana Bars



My Aunt Joanne used to make frosted banana bars every summer when we visited. I haven't had them in years and now that I found a good recipe, I'm going to be making them a lot this summer.  They are a great recipe to bring to a potluck/picnic.  DON'T OVER BAKE!

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I used 3 medium bananas because I like a strong banana flavor)

Frosting
2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tablespoon milk
1 tsp. vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan.*
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter. Finally, mix in the mashed banana. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting with the frosting. I like to keep them in the fridge so they are cold when I eat them.
*I cooked mine in a 9x13 pan so they would be thicker and it took about 35min to be cooked through.


1 comment:

Abby Green said...

perfect!! I was literally just looking in a cookbook for a recipe to use up super ripe bananas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails