Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Angela's Dad's Enchiladas


I love hearing about what people ate growing.  It's one of the many questions I like to ask people (I've been known to be a question-asker). Angela has shared a few of her family recipes with me and this one is not the fanciest, but it sure is tasty.  And when she left me with two cans of Hormel chili when she moved to London, I knew I'd be making this soon!

Two cans of Hormel no-beans chili. (make sure it doesn't have beans in it or any extra spice thing)
Lots of grated cheddar cheese (3-4 cups)
One medium onion, chopped
Corn tortillas (approx. 15)

Preheat oven to 350.

First, lightly fry the tortillas in veggie oil so they are easier to roll.  On med-high heat, the tortillas should only be in the oil for about 4 seconds. I like to layer mine between paper towels as I do it so at least some of the grease gets soaked up.

Working with one tortilla at a time, put a small amount of the chopped onion and grated cheese towards the edge of the tortilla closest to you.  Probably about 1/4 cup stuff total.  Roll tightly away from yourself, being careful not to tear the tortilla.  Place in pan seam-side down in a 9x13 baking pan and do the same with the rest.

Meanwhile, dump the cans of chili in a pan.  Rinse the cans out with about 1/4 cup water and dump that in the pan too.  Warm on the stove.

Pour chili over enchiliadas, using a knife or something to move them so you make sure to get some chili in between each of the enchiliadas.

Top with grated cheese and chopped onions.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  After 25 minutes, if the cheese on top isn't done to your liking, just broil for a bit.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails