Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Steak and Ale Pie

Good friends of ours are moving to England so we had them over for an England-inspired night. This classic London pub recipe was really tasty but I did modify the cooking style from what it describes below. I wanted to make sure my meat was really tender (I hate chewy beef). So instead of marinating it the night before and simmering it for 10min, I just put everything in a crockpot the morning of and cooked it on low all day long. Then, just pour into a pie pan (I didn't put all the liquid in), top with puff pastry and cook!

1 1/4 pounds of steak - cut into large cubes
2 short sprigs of fresh rosemary (I used 1 t dried)
3 sprigs of fresh marjoram
1/3 - 1/2 pint of Newcastle (or other dark ale)
olive oil
fresh ground black pepper
flour (approx 4 tbsp)
2-3 carrots - chopped
1 leek - chopped (I left this out)
1 medium sized onion - diced
1-2 cup beef broth
Puff Pastry (1 sheet) - thawed

Step One - Night Before

Put steak into medium sized bowl with lid. Add rosemary and chopped marjoramand mix with meat. Add Newcastle, a splash of oil, and some fresh black pepper. Mix well. Cover and marinate in fridge overnight.

Step Two - Make the Pie

Preheat oven to 375F
Strain beef from marinade (do not throw out the marinade, set it aside for now). Roll beef in flour until beef is covered. Set aside.
In a large pan, saute onion, leek and carrots in a little bit of olive oil. Cook until onions are soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
Place beef in pan and brown on all sides.
When beef is browned, put the vegetables back in, and add beer marinade, and beef stock.
Simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to pie pan/baking dish. Top with puff pastry and trim sides.
Pierce pastry a few times for ventilation, add decorative pastry leaves if desired (I used my kitchen shears to shape them).
Bake for 40-45 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails