Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cilantro Pesto


This week is officially clean-out-the-fridge week. We're saving up and cleaning up for our vacation next week so Mark and I sat down today and planned meals only from ingredients we have in the house. The first meal is cilantro pesto with shrimp over spaghetti. I made this pesto about a month ago when I had WAY too much cilantro in the house. I froze the pesto in an ice cube tray and then popped them into a ziplock once they were frozen. I really liked the kick of the pesto. If I remember correctly back to when I made this, I don't think I had a serrano pepper so I used a seeded jalapeno.

2 cups, packed, of cilantro, large stems removed
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped and seeded serrano chile
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

METHOD
In a food processor, pulse the cilantro, almonds, onion, chile, and salt until well blended. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream.
Add more oil as needed for your use.
Makes about 1 cup.
Whatever you don't use, you can freeze. Line a ice cube tray with plastic wrap and fill in the individual cube spaces with the pesto. Freeze and remove from the ice tray, put in a sealed freezer bag for future use.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails