Mark said this is his favorite salad of all time!!
1 (approx 1 lb) pkg salmon, cut into 1-inch chunks
5 cups cubed baguette or ciabatta bread (day-old is fine)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Half a red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
2 cups sliced cucumbers (preferably Persian or hothouse)
1 bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Tbsp capers, drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
For vinaigrette (or use 1/3 cup bottled dressing):
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp crushed garlic, or 1/2 cube frozen Crushed Garlic
2 Tbsp Orange Muscat vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil until pieces are evenly coated.
3. Toss bread cubes with 1 Tbsp olive oil until evenly coated. Place salmon, bread, and onion on a baking sheet in a single layer (or if you prefer the bite of raw onion, reserve uncooked). Bake for 6-7 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through, stirring halfway to roast evenly.
4. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, capers, and basil. Add salmon, bread, and onions.
5. Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients(or use bottled dressing), add to bowl, and toss until evenly coated. For optimum flavor, allow salad to sit for 30 minutes for flavors to meld.