Sunday, May 23, 2010

BBQ Jalapeños on Burgers

This is another pioneer woman recipe that I thought would be awesome. However, I left too many seeds and ribs in the jalapeños, so it was TOO HOT! I know that the heat of the pepper is in the seeds and ribs so I scraped most of them out, but I left a little to give it a kick. Well, it was too much of a kick. In fact, I just started sweating a little bit thinking about it. But, I still wanted to post the recipe because A) I think it would be awesome if it had not been like an inferno in my mouth and B) I wanted to prove that not everything turns out perfectly in the Heaviland kitchen :)

18 fresh jalapeños
One 8-ounce package cream cheese
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 green onion, sliced
18 slices thin bacon, cut into halves
Bottled barbecue sauce
Toothpicks
Rubber gloves (or plastic bags) for working with jalapeños
Cooking Directions
Preheat the oven to 275ºF.

Begin by cutting jalapeños in half lengthwise (see warning in headnote). Try to keep the stems intact. They look prettier that way.

With a spoon, scrape out the seeds and light-colored membranes. Remember: The heat comes from the seeds and membranes, so if you can handle the sizzle, leave some of them intact.

Now, in a bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and chopped green onion. Mix the ingredients together gently. And don't feel you have to use an electric mixer. I do because I'm lazy and don't like to exert myself. Ever. (Too much scrubbing clothes on the washboard, I suppose.)

Next, stuff each hollowed jalapeño half with the cheese mixture.

Wrap bacon slices around each half, covering as much of the surface as you can. Be careful not to stretch the bacon too tightly around the jalapeño, as the bacon will contract as it cooks.

Brush the surface of the bacon with your favorite barbecue sauce. Chutney or apricot jelly works well, too!

Secure the jalapeños with toothpicks and pop them in the oven for 1 hour, or until the bacon is sizzling. Serve hot or at room temperature, and watch them disappear within seconds.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails