Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Egg in a Hole


Well, my meet-up with Pioneer Woman was not successful :( Apparently she's REALLY REALLY popular. I showed up to the bookstore where she was having her book signing and when I sauntered in at 15min before the signing, I got the 350th ticket. Eeks. I waited around for an hour (surrounded by hundreds of ladies nervously combing their hair and babies in I Heart Pioneer Onesies) and then decided to bail when they were only at #50 after an hour. My friend Emilie is a true fan and waited over 4 hours to have her (and my) book signed. But, I'm still drooling over the cookbook. This is one of the recipes in there. So simple and yet probably Mark's favorite meal this week.

1 slice Of Your Favorite Kind Of Bread
1 whole Egg
1 Tablespoon Butter
Salt To Taste
Pepper To Taste

Preparation Instructions
With a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass press a hole in the center of the slice of bread.
Next, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and melt a Tablespoon of butter in it. When the butter is all spread out place the piece of bread in the skillet and crack the egg straight into the center of hole.
Cook for at least 30 seconds or so before attempting to move the bread or things could get messy. Sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper to taste. After about a minute, flip it over with a spatula and salt and pepper the other side.
Now move the whole piece of toast around the skillet, soaking up all of the glorious butter. Let it cook until the yolk feels, to the touch, still soft without feeling over-jiggly. Here’s the key: golden brown toast, white (not brown/burned) whites, soft unbroken yolk.
Here’s the other secret: just one of these suckers is all I need to feel whole, happy and free.

3 comments:

dana in dublin said...

my mom used to make these for me all the time when I was growing up- though she calls them eggs in a frame. yummy!

Dawn said...

My stepmom has made these for years. Instead of bread, though, she uses bagels. The hole is already there. :-)

marndt said...

We make these all the time! We call them egg in a basket! Funny how many different names there are for it! It is really good with homemade, thick sliced bread! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails