Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crockpot Mongolian Beef


This beef was awesome! It is definitely my favorite crockpot meal I've made this week and I will definitely make it again soon. The beef was super tender and very flavorful. The night after I made it I even drempt about it! However, in the dream I forgot to turn it on high for the last hour and it did not turn out as well so make sure to follow the directions so my dream doesn't come true!

1 lb beef flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain
1 medium white onion or yellow onion, sliced thinly (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup cut scallion, in 1 . 5 inch pieces (green onions)
1/3 cup fruity white wine

Directions
1Slice the flank steak thinly across the grain - the strips should be 2 to 3 inches long each; set aside.
2Combine the onion, soy sauce, sherry, broth, garlic, hoisin, brown sugar, ginger, and pepper flakes, then put the mixture into the crock pot.
3Put the cornstarch in a large Ziploc bag; add the sliced beef and toss well to coat.
4Add the coated beef into the crock pot, gently pushing it into the liquid to cover; pour the white wine over - do NOT stir.
5Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours; an hour before you're going to serve, turn the crock pot to high, add the cut scallions, stir, and cook for an additional hour.
6Stir, and serve over rice or noodles.

2 comments:

The McFarlane Family said...

Thank you for bringing me molasses so I can make this Sat. :o)

The McFarlane Family said...

Made this tonight and it was really good. I think next time I'll add brocoli and use a cheaper cut of steak to see how it turns out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails