Monday, January 25, 2010

Chile Verde Take 2 (Dad's Recipe)

My dad was feeling sorry for me that I made chile verde with canned diced green chiles. So, he was sweet enough to pack up some roasted green chiles from Arizona on dry ice and mail them up to my sister and I. So, here's my dad's chile verde with the real deal chiles!

2# pork, cubed
1# roasted green chilies, rough chopped
¾# tomatillos
2-3 serrano or jalapeno peppers
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. oregano
¼ cup cilantro
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
oil

Roast Jalapenos and Tomatillos under broiler for 10min, flipping half way through.
Place roasted tomatillos and serrano/jalapeno peppers in food processor or blender and pulse until roughly pureed.

Season pork with salt and pepper, then lightly brown in oil, set aside. Sauté onions and garlic in large pot until tender. Add browned pork, chicken broth, bay leaf, green chilies, pureed tomatillo mixture, oregano, cumin. Cover and simmer. About ½ hr. before done, remove bay leaf, add cilantro, season to taste with salt and pepper

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails