Monday, January 25, 2010

Cashew Chicken


My friend Kae Cee loves this chicken recipe so I made it to bring to her and her new baby Ellie! Make this scrumptious salad with your leftover cashews!

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
8 scallions, white and green parts separated, each cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3/4 cup raw cashews (4 ounces), toasted
White rice, for serving (optional)

In a medium bowl, toss chicken with cornstarch until chicken is coated; season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken, tossing often, until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining oil and chicken to skillet along with the garlic and white parts of scallions. Cook, tossing often, until chicken is browned, about 3 minutes. Return first batch of chicken to pan. Add vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
Add hoisin sauce and 1/4 cup water; cook, tossing, until chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in scallion greens and cashews. Serve immediately over white rice, if desired.

2 comments:

The McFarlane Family said...

So funny but this is what I'm making Tuesday! It is in the cookbook I brought over tonight (so are the pumpkin enchiladas). I never made the connection when I saw this before. I'm going to use green beans instead of scallions. I'll let you know how it goes!

The McFarlane Family said...

This is one of our family's favorite dishes. I add whatever veggies I have on hand - green beans, carrots, celery, etc.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails