Monday, December 21, 2009

Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms


Jesse Boyd introduced me to portabella mushrooms in college and I love them. Mark is not a big fan, so it is a treat for me to get them. One of my favorite ways to cook them is baked in the oven with mozzarella cheese. I thought I'd switch things up a little bit with this recipe. I found it in the free Costco cookbook they handed out around Thanksgiving. In prior years it had ghetto recipes like "Dip bagel bites into prego marinara sauce" but this year there are some great recipes!

2 T olive oil
2 tomatoes, diced
1 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 c veggie or chicken broth
a couple slices of bread, cubed (it called for focaccia but I used sourdough)
handful of baby spinach
4 oz mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add tomatoes, onion/garlic powder and broth. Cook until heated through. In a bowl, combine bread cubes, spinach, mozzarella, egg and the tomato mixture. Mix until well blended.

Place mushrooms on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Form the stuffing mixture into themushroom caps. Bake for about 20min. Serve immediately.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails