Monday, February 9, 2009

Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce


You HAVE to make these.  I promise they don't taste like pumpkin and I promise you will love them.  One of the gals at my MOPS table is a nutritionist and gave us this recipe but Angela is the one who convinced me to try it.  

½ rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded 
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1 can black beans (or 1 ½ cups cooked)
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 15oz. can)
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 jalapeno chile, quartered (remove ribs and seeds for less heat, if desired)
1 tsp. chili powder
8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
1 ½ cup (6 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 425F.  In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, beans and scallions.  Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. In a blender, puree the pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2 ½ cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper until smooth (hold the top firmly as the blender will be quite full).  Pour 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish.
3. (If you are bad like me, first lightly fry the tortillas in veggie oil so they are soft and pliable) Lay the tortillas on a work surface; mound the chicken mixture on half of each tortillas, dividing evenly.  Roll up each tortillas into a tight log; place seam side down over the sauce in the baking dish.
4. Pour the remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with the cheese.  Place the dish on a baking sheet; bake until the cheese is golden and the sauce is bubbling; 25-30 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I so desperately want to try this. I wondering how I can make it vegetarian? Just leave out the chicken? Use scrambled tofu? Tofu slices? Hmmmmm.

RAP said...

Yes! It made the blog! I made this again last week . . . yummy! And, I fry my tortillas too. Shhh.

The McFarlane Family said...

Oh wow! This sounds delicious! I can't wait to make it!

Bina H. Ellefsen said...

Hi Jessie, you are a life saver!:) I made this recipe tonight to give to a friend and made a little for us too. I added cumin to the sauce. I'll let you know how it goes. Anyway, just wanted you to know how much I love your blog and how helpful it has been to me. You are such a talented and beautiful woman! Blessings, Bina

The Longs said...

Okay, I made it...and...I loved it! It is probably the best enchiladas ever.

Naomi Schaeffer said...

These are SOOOO yummy!!! Fabulous! Definitely the best enchiladas I have ever had. Yum!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I finally made it! Yay!!!!!! (I did end up substituting sauteed spinach for the chicken, as you recommended, and also threw in some steamed edamame that was leftover from lunch).

The Green Family said...

These were yummy!!

Jen said...

Oh YUM! Just made it and it was great, even though I forgot the beans!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails