Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Gaucho Burger


I seriously almost burnt down the house with this one. I started the jalapeno, tomato red onion until the broiler (500 degrees) and set the timer. I also had soup simmering on the stove top. I went to put James to bed and when Mark heard the timer go off he thought it was for the soup and took it off the burner. When I came back into the kitchen, I sat down with a book, waiting for the timer to go off. I thought I smelt something burning so I went to check the soup but that was ok. I went back to my book (I'm reading Twilight Book 3 and I'm kinda obsessed). So finally I said, "Something is seriously burning" and then realized that the veggies were way past their time and were scorched in the oven. We must have uneven heat distribution in the oven because the ones on the side were fine and were perfect to make the pico de gallo. Rachael Ray is the (self-proclaimed) Queen of the Burger. This one was mighty tasty! I served it with salt and pepper fries I got from PCC. Yum!

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef sirloin
1/2 cup beer
2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
2 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1 T ground coriander
1 T steak seasoning
2 t Worcestershire sauce
1 red onion, cut into 6 wedges
jalapeno
2 tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
Juice of 1 lime plus 1 teaspoon grated peel
Salt
8 deli-slices pepper Jack cheese
4 Kaiser rolls, preferably cornmeal-crusted, split and toasted
Shredded romaine lettuce

Preparation

In a large bowl, combine the beef, beer, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Shape into four patties.

Pre-heat the broiler. Halve and seed the tomatoes and jalapeƱos before broiling. On a rimmed baking sheet, broil the tomatoes, jalapeƱos and red onion, turning once, until charred, about 15 minutes. Chop the charred veggies; transfer to a bowl. Add the cilantro, lime juice and lime peel; season the pico de gallo with salt.

In the broiler or on the grill, cook the burgers over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare doneness, melting the cheese over each burger during the last few minutes of cooking.

To serve, layer each roll bottom with lettuce, a burger, some pico de gallo and a roll top.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails