Sunday, November 2, 2008
Deep Dish Pizza
Mark is a HUGE fan of pizza. For awhile now he's been on the hunt for a Chicago style deep dish pizza recipe. After a few ok results, I realized he needed the right kind of pan. So for his birthday I got him this deep dish pizza pan. On the back of the packaging it had this recipe for a deep dish pizza. It sure was deep! The crust was over 1" thick and had the buttery, crispy bottom like pizza hut. I think the two secrets were the potato in the dough and the 4T of oil in the bottom of the pan. It's the best pizza I've had in two years- man we miss Zachary's in Tucson. We topped ours with red sauce, spicy italian sausage, banana peppers and cheddar cheese.
Deep-Dish Pizza Crust Recipe
1 medium baking potato, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 t rapid-rise yeast
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
6 T EVOO, plus more for oiling bowl
1 3/4 t salt
1. Bring 1 quart of water and potato to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. then drain. When cool, grate through large holes on box grater. Measure 1 1/3 cups lightly packed potato and discard the rest.
2.While potato is cooking, add to bread machine- yeast, 1/2 c. flour and 1/2 cup warm water and combine. Let sit until bubbly (about 20 min). Add 2 T olive oil, remaining 1/2 c. warm water, 3 c. flour, salt and potato. Set bread machine to dough cycle and start.
3. Oil bottom of deep dish pan with 4T olive oil. Remove dough from bread machine (when complete), pat into 12" round. Transfer to pan, cover with plastic wrap and let rest about 10min.
4. Uncover dough and pull up into edges and up sides of the pan to form 1" lip. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for another 30min. Uncover dough and prick generously with a fork. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Bake crust on lower rack of oven until dry and light, about 15min.
6. Add cheese and other topping and bake (still on bottom shelf) until cheese melts- 10 to 15 min. Move pizza to top rack and bake until cheese is spotty brown, about 5 min.
7. Let pizza cool for 5 min, then use a wide spatula to slide pizza from pan to cutting board.