Monday, June 21, 2010

Cornbread Salad

This is a recipe I have posted before but I finally took a picture of it in my trifle bowl AND it's such a fabulous summer salad, I wanted to repost it :)

One 9-oz package of cornbread mix
One 4.5-oz can chopped green chiles
1.5 cup light mayo
1.5 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I use twice this much total)
3/4 cup lime juice
3 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 head of lettuce, shredded
One 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained WELL
One 11-oz can whole kernel corn, drained WELL
One 8-oz package reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
6 plum tomatoes, chopped and drained

Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions, adding chiles. Cool and crumble. Set aside.
Process mayo and next 4 ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside.
Layer a 4 quart bowl with 1/2 of the lettuce (I add the other 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro to the shredded lettuce), 1/2 of the cornbread, 1/3 of the dressing, and 1/2 each of beans, corn, cheese, pepper, onions, and tomatoes. Repeat layers.
Top with remaining 1/3 of dressing. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours. Garnish with green onion curls.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This looks really interesting and good! I am looking forward to trying it!

The McFarlane Family said...

Brett would love this! We will have to try it soon!

The McFarlane Family said...

We made this tonight and it was great. I would also reccomend doubling the dressing. I have a major aversion to mayo so we used sour cream instead and it was awesome! I also forgot the chiles because I can't read directions and it was good without them. But next time I will (hopefully) remember. It sooo reminds me of Quinoa salad, which we love. But with cornbread, which is Brett's favorite food. Charlie (1.5) also thought it was delicious.

Addie said...

oh my word, this was so yummy! I substituted spinach for the lettuce, and half plain yogurt for the mayo. I also omitted the peppers and onions. It was still amazing. My husband liked it too, much better than the usual "lettuce salads" (lettuce and dressing) I make. :) Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails