Thursday, October 16, 2008
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Thanks for the recipe Meagan!
4 large red or green bell peppers
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
½ tsp salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley
1 cup COOKED rice
½ cup salsa
½ cup sour cream
1 cup diced tomatoes
½ cup chopped green onions
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 cup hot water
1. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and ribs.
2. Saute beef, onion, garlic, 1 tsp of the bouillon granules, and the seasonings (salt, pepper, etc). Scramble well until the onion is transparent. Drain off the fat.
3. Meanwhile, mix the hot water and the remaining 1 tsp of bouillon granules. Pour this into a shallow casserole dish large enough to hold all the peppers. Usually a glass 9x13” dish holds them well. (The water in the dish allows the peppers to steam while retaining some of their crispness.)
4. To the meat mixture, add the rice, salsa, sour cream, tomatoes, green onions, and soy sauce. Mix well. Stuff this mixture into peppers, and place the peppers into the casserole dish.
5. Cover the casserole with foil and bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes.
6. Remove the foil and spoon a little juice over the peppers. Cover each pepper with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.