Friday, October 17, 2008

Fish Tacos


For my birthday Mark made one of my favorite meals...fish tacos. In my opinion, fish tacos can only be fried. These were hands down the best fish tacos I've ever had. I miss Rubios. Don't get me started on ghetto Taco Del Mar up here in Seattle. Our first visit (don't ask me why we ever went back) I asked the server if the fish tacos were fried or grilled and he said he didn't know. He showed me what the fish looked like and I couldn't tell either. Sick. Needlesstosay, Mark did an exceptional job filling my fish taco void. He also made fresh guacamole in addition to the white sauce for an extra level of yumminess.

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup beer

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon minced capers
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1 quart oil for frying
1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions
1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
  1. To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).
  2. To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.
  3. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  4. Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas; not too crisp. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

After we made these once, Jeff requested that we make them every single week! We didn't have any beer around, and I couldn't bring my pregnant self to walk into the shady minimart down the street to buy a beer, so we used tempura batter instead. They were delicious!

Alisha said...

Phil loves these too! We totally miss Rubios as well. It is always one of the first places we go when we go to California to visit family.

We didn't use a whole pound of fish so we made onion rings with the left over beer batter. It was delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails