Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Beef Enchiladas


My mom's enchiladas cannot be beat. There are two secrets: frying the corn tortillas and Macayo's enchilada sauce. This sauce is not sold in WA, so I'm always begging AZ guests to bring me some cans. Once my mom tried to bring 3 cans in her carry-on bag and they were confiscated by airport security- tragic! I guess other enchilada sauce will do but I cannot guarantee it will be a 5 Star recipe!

12 corn tortillas
1 lb. ground beef
one small yellow onion, diced small
1 large (28 oz.) can of enchilada sauce (AZ folks- use Macayo's)
3 c. of cheddar cheese
1 c. veggie oil for frying
Sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a small skillet (corn tortilla size) to medium and add oil. Once the oil is hot (sizzles when you put the tortilla in) put one tortilla in. After about 30 seconds, flip it over. The goal here is to get the soft and for them to be easy to roll. (If you leave it in too long and it gets crispy, just add some cheese and salt, pop it in the micro for 20 sec until cheese melts. This is my favorite snack in the whole world) Lay out tortillas on paper towels to soak up some of the grease (not too much now). If you are talented, you can also cook the ground beef and onion at the same time but I find that I end up with too many crispy tortillas that way. So, cook up the ground beef and onion and then take off heat and add about 3/4 cup of the sauce. Add about 1/2 c. of the cheese and mix together. Put 1/4 c. of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x13 baking dish so they don't stick to the bottom. Now fill each tortilla with the meat mixture, roll and place in dish. Once all 12 are in the dish, top with the remaining sauce and cheese. Some people like to add sour cream into their sauce before pouring it over. I think it's good both ways. Cook for about 20min or until cheese is bubbling hot. I serve them with mexican rice and refried beans (topped with more cheese).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails