Saturday, September 20, 2008

The BEST Mac 'n' Cheese


When I say best mac 'n' cheese, I mean it. My friend Michele gave me this scrumptious recipe and you just can't go wrong with a 4 cheese macaroni. Although it can be pricey, the gruyere cheese makes all the difference so buy it at Costco and find another recipe to use it in!

3 cups penne (make sure you measure! A whole box is too much and it’ll come out dry)
1 large egg
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1-1/2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
4 oz cream cheese
2 cups gruyere cheese
¾ c. grated parmesan
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper (white if you have it)
3 Tbsp butter
12 saltine crackers

Boil noodles. Combine everything in a greased 9x13 or 8 cup casserole dish and bake for 25 min at 350. Crush crackers, add butter. Sprinkle cracker mixture on top and bake another 5 min.

4 comments:

Reegz said...

I must tell you, your postings make me starved! I love your recipe ideas and your blog about them! My aunt just tried your mac-n-cheese and said it was divine! I plan on making recipe books for my family this x-mas and robbing many of your recipes! Thanks!
(Dana's sister)
Regan

The McFarlane Family said...

3 cups dry pasta or 3 cups cooked?

Meglet said...

I've been looking forward to this ever since we made our weekly menu on Saturday. It's in the oven right now. I'll let you know what I think. It's the first time I've used gruyere cheese.

Bryn said...

I am assuming you have to heat cream cheese and the other cheeses to combine them before mixing them with the pasta? (I am nervous... I have never made Mac and Cheese without a rue, but it sounds delicious!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails