Sunday, August 24, 2008

Black Bean Soup


Black Bean Soup is a favorite recipe of mine, given to me by my good friend Emilie. I love how quick and easy it is. Topping with sour cream, cilantro and crunched chips is optional but adds some extra tastiness. My favorite hot sauce to use is Frank's original. If you pull out some of the soup before adding the cumin/hot sauce it's baby friendly as well!

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
3 15-ounce cans black beans with juices
1/2 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and thyme; sauté until onion is golden, about 8 minutes. Add beans, reserved 1 cup bean liquid, broth, tomatoes with juices, cumin and hot pepper sauce. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until flavors blend and soup thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

Working in 2 batches, purée 2 1/2 cups soup in blender until smooth. Mix purée back into soup in pot. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls.

5 comments:

The McFarlane Family said...

You might be surprised! Charlie actually prefers things with the hot sauce. :o)

FutureCrowl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FutureCrowl said...

we made this last night and it was great! The only minor mess up was that Ben wasn't holding onto the blender lid well enough and some of the hot contents flew all over me. Thanks for this tasty one!

The McFarlane Family said...

Did I ever tell you that when I make this I pour it over rice to add a little substance?

The McFarlane Family said...

Becky - if you have an immersion blender, use that! Everytime I use the blender I have the same disatarous results.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails